Like air, most of us living in developed countries take the availability of safe water for granted. However, for more than 748 million others, safe, clean water is a luxury not yet experienced. In fact, for far too many people, the water that is accessible is more likely to cause serious illness- and even death- than to sustain life.
More than 840,000 people die each year from water, sanitation, and hygiene-related causes.
Every minute, a child dies from a water-related illness.
World Water Relief is dedicated to combating this appalling, but correctable crisis. Our approach not only includes the installation of water filtration systems, local training on maintaining the system, ongoing maintenance, but hygiene education. This education is critical to help prevent the spread of waterborne disease.
To bring about meaningful and lasting change, we center our education on WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) in schools. Teaching safe water and sanitation practices, in addition to hygiene & health-related skills, enables children to become agents for change in the home and in their community. WASH in schools significantly reduces hygiene-related disease, increases student attendance and learning achievement, and contributes to personal dignity and gender equality.
World Water Relief commits 10 years to maintaining each WASH in school projects
• 40% of diarrhea cases in children are from transmission in schools rather than homes
• 443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related diseases
• Diarrhea is the second biggest killer of children under five years old worldwide
• An estimated 1/3 of school-aged children in the developing world are infested with intestinal worms. Not only do these illnesses rob children of school attendance and achievement, they are underlying causes of malnutrition and stunting.
WASH Project Components
• Integrated life-skills based education that focuses on key hygiene & health behaviors using participatory teaching techniques
• Provision of sustainable supplies of safe water for drinking and hand-washing
• Provision of hand-washing stations with soap along with improved maintenance of latrine and bathroom facilities
• Outreach to children’s families and to the wider community
World Water Relief cannot operate without the generosity of our partners, the help of our advocates and supporters like you. It is only through the commitment of individuals and other organizations that World Water Relief is able to help thousands of people get life-saving access to safe water.
Our Program Affiliates provide local resources, equipment, guidance and/or supplies to the schools and communities we serve.
Our Support Partners help increase awareness and/or help raise funds for specific programs or projects.